Posts for: January, 2017
New Year’s resolutions fall into two buckets - the ones we keep and the ones we don’t. Taking better care of your dental health is similar to going to the gym, you know you have to do it, you dread doing it, but afterward feel great for having done it. Unlike going to the gym, when you take care of your pearly whites you can actually see results immediately and only have to spend a fraction of the time to do so. Here are three strategies to keep your smile brighter in the New Year.
1. Buy an electric tooth brush: As I've mentioned previously, the best investment in your dental health is an electric toothbrush. Whether it’s Sonicare (my toothbrush of choice) or Oral B, the $150 ticket price is worth it. Did you know you would have to brush for an entire month (twice per day for thirty days) with a regular tooth brush in order to accomplish the same number of strokes as brushing for two minutes with a Sonicare electric brush? Think about how clean your mouth will be if you spend just four minutes per day using your electric brush. And another bonus - a whiter and more attractive smile!
2. Make an honest effort to floss: Let’s be honest, no one likes to floss. Winding that little string around your fingers and trying to maneuver it throughout your mouth without choking seems like a task worth avoiding. But those of us who’ve had dental cavities between our teeth know that in the long run, spending thirty seconds per day flossing is much better than getting a filling. The key is finding the right flossing tools that works for you. Whether it’s flossing string, floss pick or a water pick, spending those seconds removing plaque and bacteria before bedtime is crucial to avoiding cavities.
3. Limit sugary and sticky foods: The hardest part about keeping our mouth clean is after eating sticky foods that get caught between our teeth and are impossible to get out. Those sour patch kids, gummy bears and caramel chews are delicious but tend to stick around the longest if not properly removed. And since they’re so high in sugar, they're like battery acid to our teeth, eating away at our tooth enamel. By limiting our consumption of these sticky and sugary candy, we can significantly reduce the risk of tooth decay. Plus it will decrease the number of calories we have to burn at the gym!
Most importantly, don’t forget to see your dentist for your regular checkup and cleaning. You can avoid problems before they start or at least before they get any worse.
A path to finding the perfect dentist for you and your family.
When it comes to choosing your dental office, there’s a lot to consider. Your relationship with the dentist, your comfort level throughout the visit and the technology and amenities provided to name a few. But once you develop a relationship with the right practice, the benefits are tremendous because your dentist will grow to know you and your individual needs. Over time, you’ll develop a relationship and history together as the doctor becomes familiar with your desires, concerns and what, specifically has gone on in your mouth. “I believe a positive dental experience for most patients starts with building trust and a good rapport with their doctor, starting at the first appointment.” says Dr. Valerie Martins of Martins Dental Partners.
How do you find the right dentist for YOU? Here are three steps to put you on the right path:
1. Do your research: If you’re looking to make a change or have moved to a new area, do your research. You can google dental practices in your town or ask people you know in the area. Pay special attention to online reviews from sites such as google and yelp. Online reviews can provide you with visibility to patients’ experiences across a wide range of visits and procedures. Most reviews provide detailed and thoughtful overviews of the patient’s experience. Martins Dental Partners is proud of the many fantastic reviews our patients have provided.
2. Visit the office: Once you’ve done your research, visit the office. You can call ahead and ask for a tour or just stop in unannounced. Your goal is to get a sense of how the office “feels” to you. What is your first impression as you fist walk in the door? Is the environment soothing and comfortable? What amenities are provided to patients? Many dental offices today provide countless comforts in order to provide an exceptional experience for every patient. At Martins Dental Partners, you'll find Apple TV in each treatment room featuring Netflix and Pandora as well as wireless, noise-canceling headphones to make your visit as relaxing as possible. We also encourage potential patients to request a complimentary tour of our beautiful office located at 130 Cabot Street in beautiful Beverly, MA.
3. Talk to the Doctor: During a new patient appointment, the doctor should speak with you about any concerns you have as well as what your personal goals are. Your first appointment is also a great time to ask the doctor about their approach to treatment and evaluate the level of collaboration the doctor displays. Does he/she explain things clearly? Are they focused on prevention and long term wellness? At Martins Dental Partners, our mission is to perfect the Dental experience. “We’re committed to establishing an unsurpassed depth of honesty, trust and connection with our patients – a partnership that will last a lifetime." says Dr. Martins.
Evaluating the difficult decision of which dental practice best fits your needs can feel like an overwhelming experience; we hope these steps help you find a practice that will surpass any expectations you may have regarding a visit to the Dentist.