Do you avoid the Dentist? Does the thought of sitting in a Dental Chair give you anxiety? You’re not alone -- many people are afraid of the Dentist! Some will endure a painful toothache for weeks or months to avoid having to step foot in a Dental Office.
It doesn’t have to be this way and Sedation Dentistry at Martins Dental Partners in Beverly, Massachusetts may be the answer! Martins Dental Partners offers multiple Sedation Dentistry options to help patients cope with everything from their regular cleanings to large procedures such Dental Implants.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation Dentistry is the practice of using various types of medication to help patients relax during dental procedures. The levels of Sedation are as follows:
- Minimal Sedation: You remain completely awake but are in a relaxed state.
- Moderate or Conscious Sedation: You’re conscious but extremely relaxed. You’ll have some recollection of your experience but it will likely be limited.
- Deep Sedation: You’re on the edge of Consciousness but can be awakened quickly if needed. You will not remember much, if any, of the procedure.
What Types of Sedation Options are Available?
- Nitrous Oxide (i.e. "laughing gas"): The most commonly used medicine to achieve Minimal Sedation is Nitrous Oxide. Nitrous Oxide, which is a gas that helps patients relax, is combined with oxygen and administered using a mask placed over the patient’s nose. The dentist can control the amount of gas administered to the patient and the gas typically wears of quickly once the Doctor has stopped administering it.
- Oral Sedation: Oral Sedation can range from Minimal to Moderate depending on the drug and dosage being used. Typically, the drug will come in the form of a pill and will be taken 1-2 hours prior to the procedure. If Minimal Sedation is desired, the dosage provided will cause drowsiness but allow the patient to remain completely awake. If Moderate sedation is needed, a larger dose can further relax the patient and even enable the patient to fall asleep during the procedure.
- IV Sedation: To achieve Moderate to Deep Sedation, IV Sedation can be used. With IV Sedation, the patient receives a Sedative drug through an IV. Because the IV introduces the Sedative directly into the blood stream it works very quickly. IV Sedation also allows the Doctor to adjust the level of Sedation as needed by increasing or decreasing the amount of Sedative being delivered to the patient. IV Sedation is performed by our partner, Dr. Corey Collins, a board certified anesthesiologist trained in administering IV Sedation and monitoring the patient's safety throughout their procedure.
Is Sedation Dentistry Right for you?
Martins Dental Partners recommends a comprehensive exam and discussion regarding the patient’s personal goals as well as the benefits and risks of Sedation Dentistry. Some of the common reasons patients choose Sedation Dentistry are:
- The patient has a fear of the Dentist that prevents them from visiting a Dentist for regular care or necessary treatment
- The patient needs to undergo an invasive or time consuming dental procedure
- The patient has difficulty coping with dental procedures due to severe gag-reflex
Martins Dental Partners is built upon the philosophy that a relaxing and enjoyable dental visit is possible. In support of this mission, we are proud to offer a range of Sedation Dentistry options for those patients who’ve avoided dental treatment due to anxiety or simply prefer not to actively participate in their dental experience. Whether you need wisdom teeth extractions, invasive dental procedures or are merely afraid of “the chair”, Dr. Valerie Martins and the team at Martins Dental Partners can provide several Sedation Dentistry options to enable you to relax and have your dental work completed in a stress-free and safe environment.
Call Martins Dental Partners now at 978-279-2400 or make an appointment using our website to schedule a free consultation. We are conveniently located at 130 Cabot Street in beautiful Beverly, MA.