Here are 5 simple tips to keep your mouth healthy, fresh and clean:
1) Brush & Floss Regularly: The American Dental Association recommends brushing your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled brush and flossing your teeth at least once a day. Together, these two activities help remove the sticky film you sometimes feel on your teeth called plaque. Plaque contains bacteria (the cause of bad breath) and releases acid which eats away at the enamel of your teeth and causes cavities. If plaque is not removed it will eventually harden into a hard substance called tartar which can lead to gum disease. Also, remember to replace your toothbrush every 2-3 months.
2) Don’t Forget Your Tongue: Don’t forget your tongue when you brush. Your tongue also collects food and bacteria so it’s important to brush it as well. Better yet, use a Tongue Scrapper – a specialized tool designed to remove food and bacteria from the tongue’s surface.
3) Rinse After Meals: In addition to regular brushing and flossing, it also helps to rinse after meals. When possible, rinse with an antiseptic mouth wash which will kill bacteria responsible for bad breath. If you don’t have mouthwash readily available, simply rinsing with water can help remove food particles and plaque between brushing.
4) Chew Sugarless Gum: Another “between brushing” habit that benefits your teeth and promotes fresh breath is chewing sugarless gum. In addition to the fresh taste of the gum itself, chewing gum stimulates the release of saliva which is mother natures’ natural defense against the plaque acids responsible for bad breath and tooth decay.
5) See Your Dentist Regularly: While individuals have varying needs in terms of dentistry, the average person should visit their dentist every 6 months to receive regular check-ups and cleanings. Regular visits not only help keep your teeth and gums healthy and free of plaque & bacteria, they also provide an opportunity for your dentist to identify potential problems early which can save you a lot of pain, time and money.
Martins Dental Partners is a multi-specialty General & Cosmetic Dental Practice located in Beverly, MA. Our mission is to perfect the Dental experience. We believe a relaxing & enjoyable dental visit is possible and strive to exceed any expectations you have regarding a visit to the Dentist. For more information or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Valerie Martins, Dr. Sukhpreet Heer or Dr. Suzanne Fisher please, call 978-288-1946 or request an appointment using our website.